Careers at Grand Central
Be moved to join our team!
Our brand and culture is all about moving people, and a belief in better runs through everything we do. We're part of Arriva, which has a diverse portfolio of train and bus operating companies in the UK and Europe. As a group, we're passionate about creating better journeys for our customers and changing perceptions, which in turn fuels our business growth. We call this our ‘Belief in Better’.
Grand Central is Britain’s top-rated train company for customer satisfaction and value for money. We are a fully commercial business with strong links to our local communities and fortunate to be part of the economic and cultural life of our regions. We believe that train travel can be enjoyable, reliable and easy to use.
Like many commercial organisations, the effects from COVID19 have been particularly challenging for Grand Central. Prior to the pandemic, we were in a significant period of growth and were proud to be one of the best rated train operating companies, growing to increase our size to include another depot from early 2020.
Unfortunately and like many businesses in the UK, the impact of COVID19 hit Grand Central and its people hard, this meant that we had to make some really difficult decisions which included periods of hibernation in line with the National lockdowns announced by government and closing the new depot which was due to open in Blackpool.
Like everyone, we are hoping that now, as we move to a new era, we will continue to provide the best customer experience and display Grand Central’s unique position in the rail industry where we can support the recovery of our communities from the impact of Covid. Grand Central play a vital role in local business and leisure industries, keeping people at it’s heart while remaining agile to changing circumstances.
It won’t be an easy ride and we certainly continue to have many challenges ahead, as we rebuild, but it's not the first time we have faced challenges and this experience only makes us more resilient.
We are now looking for enthusiastic, hard working individuals to join our operational teams, we are looking for people who are customer focused, ready for hard work and a challenge but ultimately who will turn up and give their very best every single day, this is your chance to be part of the new era for Grand Central and a chance for you to help rebuild us to be as successful as we once were.
Making it memorable
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a truly customer centric and distinctive train company. With fantastic employee benefits including free rail travel, a great team spirit and shared passion for customers, we're always happy to hear from people who share our passion and 'Belief in Better'.
Our fantastic team are the reason we've been rated Britain’s top-rated train company for customer satisfaction and value for money. As part of our benefits package, all of our staff can access the following from day one:
- Friendly welcoming culture in a small business where you can make a big difference.
- Contributory Pension Scheme: Arriva Workplace Pension Plan (AWPP) provided by Standard Life.
- Unlimited Free Travel for you and your immediate family on all Grand Central services. In addition we currently offer concessionary travel on other Arriva Trains UK franchises.
- Employee Assistance Programme provided by Health Assured: free, confidential 24 hour telephone counselling and information services.
- Access to the entire Headspace library - your personal guide to mindfulness, sleep, focus, movement and more.
Upon successful completion of your probation period (3-6 months), we also provide you with:
- Access to 75% discount on train travel UK-wide in addition to the free Arriva travel arrangement.
- Access to free and discounted European train travel.
- Friends & Family Passes pro-rata allocation of return standard class journeys (terms & conditions apply).
- Company Medical Insurance provided by AXA PPP Healthcare (taxable benefit).
- Company Wellness Package (including dental/optical treatment) provided by WPA (taxable benefit).
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Arriva Village employee rewards and benefits scheme.
- Membership to the Chartered Institute of Rail Operators
- Access to career development courses both internally and externally
- Opportunity to work with our talent team to create an individual personal development plan, allowing you to take charge of your career with the support of our trained experts.