First Class Upgrades
Treat yourself for a last minute upgrade using Seatfrog
Enjoy an upgrade - for less!
Whether you're travelling for business or pleasure, we're offering our customers the opportunity to enjoy the perks of First Class for just a fraction of the price! We've partnered with the team at Seatfrog to offer our customers the chance to bid on a First Class seat, all through the convenience and speed of your mobile phone. All you have to do to get started is download the Seatfrog app from the App Store or Google Play.
Who's eligible for an upgrade?
Seatfrog is currently available to customers who book direct through the Grand Central website for one of our services. All you need is a standard class ticket, bought directly from us at Grand Central, and you could be kicking back and making the most of our first class experience.
To be eligible, you just need to:
- Book a Grand Central Standard Advance, Anytime, Off-Peak or Super-Off Peak ticket ticket directly via the Grand Central website.
- Travel on one of our train services, any day of the week.
- Downloaded the Seatfrog app and have your reference number to hand.
How to upgrade with Seatfrog
Bidding for an upgrade is simple and seamless. Seatfrog allows you to bid for a First Class seat when you have bought a Standard Class ticket for the same service. All you need to do is download the app and start bidding. Bidding begins 24 hours before you service departs and finishes 30 minutes before. If you don't win the auction then don't worry because bidding is free.
Once you're on-board, take you seat in First Class where your conductor will check your barcode on the Seatfrog app, alongside you original Standard Class ticket.
First Class benefits
Whether you’re looking for relaxation or you need a it of extra room to work with Wi-Fi and plug sockets, Grand Central can provide the space and service to suit you.
- Free WiFi
- Sit back and unwind with wide, reclining seats
- Plenty of extra leg room
- Convenient at-seat service
- Customers travelling to or from Wakefield Kirkgate can enjoy our First Class lounge
- Complimentary First Class refreshments, sourced locally along our route. Subject to availability.
Terms and Conditions for Grand Central Rail ticket using Seatfrog
- By downloading and using the Seatfrog application customers will have the opportunity to enter an online auction to upgrade from standard class train travel to First Class train travel subject to these terms and conditions together with the Seatfrog terms and conditions available at https://seatfrog.com/terms/.
- This Seatfrog upgrade auction offer can only be used by customers and accompanying travellers, each with a valid standard class ticket, travelling on eligible Grand Central services. To find out which services are eligible for the chance to upgrade via the Seatfrog auction, customers will need to enter their booking reference or use the Seatfrog 'Train Search' once they have downloaded the Seatfrog application.
- Each Seatfrog upgrade is valid for a single person and is for the one-way journey on the stipulated date and time only. Upgrades are not transferable even if the original ticket allows travel in standard class on other Grand Central trains.
- Customers travelling in a group may participate in a Seatfrog auction to upgrade together. Any member of the group can register with Seatfrog and bid on a number of seats which they specify. Should the member win an auction, the specified number of upgrades will be issued to their device.
- Due to the last-minute nature of Seatfrog auctions we can't guarantee everyone in a group will sit together.
- Upon payment of the upgrade fee via the Seatfrog application, customers are issued with First Class upgrade barcodes for the specified number of upgrades within the Seatfrog application. Each upgrade barcode issued to the customer’s Seatfrog application must be presented, along with a valid standard class ticket, to the Senior Conductor. Customers must also retain their original standard class tickets to pass through station gates. The First Class upgrade barcode is not valid unless accompanied by a valid standard class ticket.
- Seatfrog upgrades are verified by the Senior Conductor. If the customer cannot produce a valid barcode on their mobile device, they will be charged as if they are travelling without a valid ticket, for further information please see . It is the customer's responsibility to make sure their mobile device is fully charged, as verification can take place at any point during the journey.
- Seatfrog upgrades are also eligible for if a service is delayed by 60 minutes or more. Customers will need to include their Seatfrog receipt when they submit a along with their original train tickets. Please note for the avoidance of doubt, any charter compensation due to customers will be calculated based on the price paid for their original standard class train ticket and any additional costs paid via the Seatfrog auction upgrade application.
- The Seatfrog upgrade is non-refundable except where the customer can't travel because of Grand Central delays or train cancellation, or where First Class accommodation is unavailable. Special arrangements will be made to accommodate customers on the next available Grand Central train (although a seat can't be guaranteed), or to refund the upgrade fee paid, provided the journey has not yet commenced.
- The Grand Central First Class complimentary service varies according to date, time of day and the journey being made. All items and offers listed are subject to availability, may change or may be withdrawn at any time.